Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Some excerpts from my favourite songs...........................


When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be
afraid of the dark. At the end of the storm, is the golden sky, and the
sweet silver song of the lark. Walk on through the wind, walk on
through the rain, Though your dreams be tossed and blown, Walk on, walk
on with hope in your heart, And you'll never walk alone, you'll never
walk alone.
-----------------Frank Sinatra


And you don't. I just read this quotation. Frank Sinatra is actually a singer who though is famous I've never been able to admire much. Just like Elvis Presly. I just can't appreciate him. But these words caught me...somehow I just can't help but wonder how simply he has put together a few words and brought out such a profound meaning. It takes a great amount of courage to smile when things are tough. I've always tried but I'm not able to...despite the fact that I smile alot...its hell of an effort doing it when the world just doesnt seem right. Its not just about smiling and keeping happy face---it actually means that you keep your hopes high even though things don't seem very promising. Your heart should smile too. Thats real courage. Thats strength. If you can do that---I believe you've already met God. If you have this one virtue nothing in this world can break you. In my opinion, virtues like these are defined as God. Because somehow you can't express their enormity. Its quite unexplainable, just like God. There is nothing more noble...nothing more perfect.





"Like a freeze-dried rose, you will never be,what you were, what you were to me in memory. But if I listen to the dark,you'll embrace me like a star,envelope me, envelope me...If things get real for me down here,promise to take me to before you went away -if only for a day. If things get real for me down here,promise to take me back to the tune we played before you went away."

This is the opening stanza of the world's most saddest and perfect song. Though I have other all time favourites. But this song touches the soul somehow. Its by Missy Higgins. In my opinion she is one underestimated singer. She is world class. Her voice is smooth, heavy and rich. Her words ring in your ears and they make your heart pound to the pain her songs.
In this song she is mourning her dead lover...who's no more just like a "freeze dried rose". But she says that if she listens very quietly she feels him.

And if I listen to, the sound of white,sometimes I hear your smile, and breath your light...

She can feel him and hear his smile in that silence which she calls "the sound of white". She's pleading with him that if things get moving for her she wants him to take her back to the time when he wasn't dead.

I knelt before some strangers face,I'd never have the courage or belief to trust this place,But I dropped my head, 'cos it felt like lead,And I'm sure I felt your fingers through my hair...

Though I'm not very sure about the para...its meaning is gorgeous. She has finally started believing in the "sound of white" and as she listens to it...she feels his fingers through her hair. She feels him close enough to touch. Her pain is eased and she relives him through the sound of white.

Its striking how someone can put so much in a few minutes. Missy Higgins is one extraordinary artiste.





Did I disappoint you or let you down?Should I be feeling guilty or let the judges frown?'Cause I saw the end before we'd begun,Yes I saw you were blinded and I knew I had won.So I took what's mine by eternal right.Took your soul out into the night.It may be over but it won't stop there,I am here for you if you'd only care.You touched my heart you touched my soul.You changed my life and all my goals.And love is blind and that I knew when,My heart was blinded by you.I've kissed your lips and held your head.Shared your dreams and shared your bed.I know you well, I know your smell.I've been addicted to you.
Goodbye my lover.

Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.

This ones by James Blunt. He's a true gem with a weird voice. Hehe..But there's a certain pain in that voice thats reaalllllyy touching. In this song he's probably broken up with his lover and here's his goodbye.

I'm so hollow, baby, I'm so hollow.I'm so, I'm so, I'm so hollow...

The song is a mixture reassuring himself and yet letting out that pain. He keeps telling her that she can't break his spirits because he's a dreamer. But he adds that with her she takes his dreams away. And the above line "I'm so hollow" brings out his actual agony. Despite his goodbyes...he can't help it. Its just touching.








The cry of the city like a siren's song. Wailing over the rooftops the whole night long. Saw a shooting star like a diamond in the sky. Must be someone's soul passing by
These are the streets, Where we used to run where your Papa's from, These are the days. Where you become what you become, These are the streets, Where the story's told...The truth unfolds...Darkness settles in
Shine your light down on me

Lift me up so i can see
Shine your light when you're gone
Give me the strength. To carry on, carry on


I don't listen to this one much but its really close to my heart. Whenever I miss dad, I listen to this one. Here it talks about the loved one thats gone, describes the place where he has lived and died. It tells of the place where all the story has taken place. It talks of the man as an ordinary man who tries to do his best. He lives on the edge, always playing with life like a game of chance. But then "Sometimes i stumble and take a hard fall. Loose hold your grip off the wall.

I thought i saw him walking by the side of the road. Maybe trying to find his way home
He's here but not here. He's gone but not gone.

Just hope he knows if I get lost
Shine your light down on me

Lift me up so i can see
Shine your light when you're gone
Give me the strength to carry on....To carry on.--------Robbie Robertson

Its a pray to the dead loved one that just hold me if I get lost as I try to move on without you. Shine your light and lift me up. Give me the strength to carry on. Man, I miss dad. Well I guess I'll have to put it on then huh? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angel, for the kind of deep meaning posts you post, you seem too young.

Angel said...

Hi anonymous, I just write what i feel. I guess thats the purpose of a blog too right? and i cant make out if you're saying this as a compliment or reproach. But anyway thanks for your thoughts.